This opportunity has expired.
Volunteer opportunity description
The City of Phoenix Street Transportation Department is looking for undergraduate or graduate college students interested in making Phoenix a Bicycle Friendly Community!
The intern will gain experience in project management, research, data collection and analysis, GIS, mapping, marketing and working with the public.
The intern may assist with the following activities:
- Create a bicycle volunteer program
- Participate in Bicycle Safety education demonstrations
- Design and publish bicycle maps
- Find locations for bicycle racks
- Speak to business owners about bicycle rack installation
- Review and search aerial maps
- Create maps using GIS software
- Grand Canal path crossings, mapping, meetings, etc.
Bike plane planning
- Candidates should enjoy bicycling and be willing to attend and observe public meetings
- Good to great computer skills, GIS, MS Office, Google SketchUp, etc.
- Students with a background in Engineering, Planning, Design or Public Administration are preferred, but all students with a demonstrated interest in bicycling will be considered
Schedule is flexible between 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday. While there is no mandatory commitment, 3-8 hours per day, 2-5 days per week is preferred.
The deadline to apply for this opportunity is August 30, 2012. Please note you will be asked to provide a copy of your resume and a brief cover letter that includes answers to the following questions:
- Why you are interested in this opportunity?
- Why bicycling is important to you and a community?
Do you own a bicycle?
To begin the application process please click on the blue "apply" button at the top of this page no later than August 30.
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times